Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bloggerstock: Stop the world, I want to get on/off



 Hey guys, it Bloggerstock time.  Where we guest post on another blog about a certain topic.  This month topic as you might of guessed is "Stop the World, I wanna get on/ff".  Today I'm proud to present Dapper Daisey.  Please give her a warm welcome.  If you wanna read my blog, head on over to my pal Lily's blog at http://isittooearlyforamartini.blogspot.com/.  And now onto the show.


Hey Booyabobby readers! We bloggerstockers are responding to the following prompt on each others blogs:

"Stop the world, I want to get on/off"

Have you ever had a moment where you realized that you just want the world to stop? Maybe it was because you realized you were missing something, or maybe it was because you just wanted a minute to breathe. Tell us about a moment like this that you had.


*Ehem* Here I go.

I’d expect that the vast majority of us can relate to going through a whole school year terrified to strike up a conversation with your crush because you convinced yourself you weren’t good enough for her/him. That was me my whole life. Who ever really gets over as basic and recurring an insecurity as that?

I bring up the awkward adolescent inability to act because it might have played a role in a silly predicament I find myself in today that’s related to a much larger concern of mine: I can’t say “no” to anyone or anything. As a result I’m speeding toward I don’t-know-what I-don’t-know-when in a bus with a driver who doesn’t know how to hit the brakes.

It started with dating. I never dated in high school and felt that was somehow because I wasn’t the sort who had a choice in these matters—I thought I had to wait until someone finally took interest in me. I thought the way love worked was that I played along and let myself be courted until I realized I liked my pursuant well enough. Being the open-minded naïve young adult I am, that made me take a vow to never refuse a boy a first date. No matter what he did or said I thought that if he treated me well I could be with anyone who came my way. Maybe these ideas came out of my childhood interpretation of arranged marriage? Of course, I ended up leading other people on and once found myself in a relationship that absolutely did not work just because I was too scared to tell him I wasn’t interested. Though I don’t think I’ll repeat that mistake again, I find that I’ve changed little. I can’t say “no” right away and get strung along on pointless dates.

This applies to the non-dating world too. I took other people’s suggestions regarding what my college major should be with little or no regard to what I wanted to do in the future. I applied for internships that I thought I could get instead of the ones I wanted because I didn’t think I was good enough for them. And when I did miraculously find myself in an environment where I would have loved to flourish, I held back for that same reason.

My turning point, I think, was when I realized that the speeding driver who wasn’t hitting the brakes was me. Of course, the world is never going to stop and, being the driver, I can’t “get off.” But I should recognize that my “passenger” is actually my navigator. And I don’t have to speed.

1 comment:

  1. Such valid points! I think it's an interesting idea, non-the-less, to never refuse a first date. There isn't much to lose besides an evening... In regards to the other aspect, there is no reason not to apply for something you're interested in. Who knows, they might be looking for passion more then experience... Worth a try anyway!

    You've actually inspired me with this guest post. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete